Jonathan’s practice covers all aspects of Civil, Commercial and Chancery litigation. He also has a substantial Costs practice.
Prior to commencing his practice at the Bar, he practised as a solicitor with international law firm Pinsent Masons and believes that this gives him an innate understanding of the pressures on professional clients and the practicalities of client relationships.
During his legal career, Jonathan has advised and represented a wide range of lay clients ranging from individuals and private companies to listed public companies, professional undertakings and large public sector clients.
Jonathan is predominantly based in central Manchester but also conducts conferences and hearings nationally.
Away from the Bar, Jonathan has a keen interest in information technology, classic cars and property renovation and also enjoys snowboarding.
Jonathan has extensive expertise in commercial litigation ranging from “straightforward” debt recovery to complex cross-border disputes. His experience includes:-
- Acting for a large private company in relation to a dispute with foreign suppliers as to interpretation of a contract for the sale and purchase of large volumes of IT equipment and the identity and legal status of the contracting parties.
- Advising a medium sized company in relation to the effective termination of a service agreement relating to the development and implementation of a web-based booking interface.
- Representing a large private company in a product liability dispute involving multiple parties based in various foreign jurisdictions.
- Advising a group of franchisees as to their right to terminate their franchising agreements following the liquidation of the franchisor and purported assignment of the franchise agreements to new companies.
Jonathan has a busy costs practice which includes:-
- Representing parties at Costs and Case Management Conferences.
- Advising on and drafting points of dispute and replies.
- Attending interim hearings, including determinations of claims for fixed costs and arguments as to unreasonable or premature issue.
- Representing both paying and receiving parties at oral reviews of provisional assessments.
- Attending detailed assessments hearings before Regional Costs Judges and High Court Masters.
- Acting for parties in assessments pursuant to the Solicitors Act 1974.
Jonathan has regularly appeared in the County Court to prosecute and defend possession claims and housing disrepair claims. His experience also includes:-
- Advising and representing an estate owner in respect of the eviction of Rent Act tenants on the grounds of nuisance.
- Acting for the owners of a caravan park in disputes arising on the sale and transfer or holiday homes including the interpretation of relevant legislation and regulations.
- Advising and representing a social landlord in relation to numerous injunctions to gain access to properties to effect gas safety inspections and repairs.
Jonathan frequently appears in the County Court and High court in relation to both personal and corporate insolvency matters. His experience includes:-
- Representing the administrators of a PLC in a £30m claim, including seeking a declaration as to the beneficial ownership of shares in various offshore companies and obtaining interim injunctive relief to restrain those companies and their shareholders from disposing of certain assets.
- Representing a class of creditors in respect of sums said to be held by a company in liquidation in a Quistclose Trust.
- Advising and representing a pension trust fund in proceedings concerning the distribution of funds to the beneficiaries of an undischarged bankrupt who was subject to an international freezing order.
- Advising and negotiating on behalf of a class of creditors in respect of an application to remove an administrator.
Property and Chancery
Jonathan has a varied Property and Chancery practice covering all manner of commercial property disputes, Corporate and Shareholder disputes and contentious probate matters. His experience includes:-
- Advising the former shareholders of a high profile sports club in a £9m dispute involving interpretation of provisions in their Share Purchase Agreement.
- Advising and representing a partner in a medium sized business in a dispute as to his entitlement on dissolution of a partnership involving numerous properties and businesses with a value of around £650k.
- Advising the purchasers of a business on irregularities in the statutory books of the target company and minimising the associated risks before acquiring the target.
- Advising and representing the partners of a high street law firm in proceedings and a mediation with a former partner.
- Advising the shareholders of a medium-sized business in relation to an unfair prejudice claim brought by a minority shareholder.
- Representing a major bank in a £3.5m dispute as to the beneficial ownership of properties purchased with monies advanced by the bank but with imperfect security
Jonathan also advises clients on dispute avoidance, in particular during corporate and commercial transactions, with a view to reducing the risk of subsequent litigation.
Professional Discipline and Regulation
Jonathan has experience of dealing with regulators and insurers in respect of regulatory investigations and complaints and claims by clients. His experience includes:-
- Acting for a partner in a Solicitors firm in relation to an investigation by the Law Society and referral of the matter to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Advising a Financial Services Provider in relation to a number of matters referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service including advising on the scope for subjecting decisions to judicial review.
- Representing an Architect in relation to a complaint to the Architect’s Registration Board arising out of his involvement in a separate business.