By instructing us, you will receive more than just advice and representation; you will secure consistently excellent oral and written advocacy, delivered with the highest levels of service and integrity from barristers who recognise the particular need for sensitivity and understanding when supporting professionals who face disciplinary proceedings. We understand not only the financial ramifications; but those to a professional reputation too.
We assist a range of healthcare professionals, including:
- Dental technicians
- Occupational therapists
We receive instructions from defence unions and also directly through our dedicated website for healthcare professionals www.ropewalkdirect.co.uk.
We also represent other professionals before their relevant regulatory body, including:
- Social workers
We provide representation and legal assistance to medical and healthcare practitioners before a number of regulatory bodies including:
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- General Optical Council (GOC)
We help to prepare a robust defence to the charges, or strong mitigation, to secure a favourable outcome at all stages of the process, including:
- Investigation Stage - Response to the allegations, by way of written submissions
- Review Hearings
- Interim Order Panel (IOP) Hearings
- Registration Appeal hearings
- Fitness to Practise Hearings
- Judicial Review and Appeals
- Health Committee Hearings
We have defended professionals on a range of issues, including:
- Dishonesty, including fraud
- Lack of competence
- Clinical failings
- Sexual misconduct including inappropriate relationships with patients, service users, inappropriate touching and sexual assault of patients and vulnerable adults
- Criminal cautions or convictions, including motoring and alcohol or drug related driving offences
- Surgical errors
- Professional misconduct
- Breaches of the GMC's Code of Conduct for doctors - Duties of a doctor - 'Good Medical Practice'
- Breaches of the NMC's Code of Professional Conduct for nurses - Standards for Conduct Performance and Ethics
- Breaches of the HCPC's Standards of Proficiency relevant to the registrant's profession and Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics.
- Physical or mental health matters that may impact upon FTP, including substance and alcohol abuse or dependency
In addition to any proceedings before the relevant regulatory body, linked proceedings arising out of the same facts or circumstances may be faced. We offer legal advice, assistance and representation in a number of linked proceedings including:
- Disciplinary hearings before the employer, including NHS Trusts, as part of their internal disciplinary and grievance procedure
- Criminal investigations
- Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) investigations
- Clinical negligence claims
- Care Quality Commission (CQC) investigations
We also represent student doctors, nurses and other medical and healthcare students in cases where they find themselves being investigated, or subject of Fitness to Practise proceedings whilst at university or denied registration at the end of their education.
Our depth of experience allows us to meet all levels of requirement, with every single case being given the care and attention it deserves.
To discuss the instruction of our barristers please contact the Senior Clerk, Tony Hill, or Deputy Senior Clerk, Alan Odiam.